Friday, February 19, 2010

My thoughts on Generosity

I've been thinking about the idea of giving and generosity. There are lots of opinions floating around about the law of attraction. Call me a traditionalist, but I still call it Karma.

There's an old cliche'(As a writer, I have low opinions on cliche') that says, "generous to a fault". Despite my low opinion of cliche', this one is very descriptive of my main problem with generosity. Let me set the record straight, first. I love the idea of generosity. In my opinion, generosity is a wonderful energy and everybody should try it on every once in a while, to see how it fits and how you feel when you're wearing it. It looks good on almost everyone.

When you give more than you have to give, you're doing it wrong. Generosity is for surplus. If you've got a lot of something; money, jewels, love, information, etc., give it away until you feel fulfilled. You'll end up attracting an equal amount of energy back in whatever form represents your highest and greatest good. That's the way Karma works. Goodness returns to the giver.

If you don't have enough money to pay your rent and you give money away, you're being a fool. If however, you don't have money to pay your rent but you perform random acts of kindness, you're doing it right. Give what you've got lots of. Love, kindness, praise, wisdom; all of these are tremendously valuable and are meant to be given freely.

This line of thinking relates to the Tao. It's about balance. Balance in all aspects of your life is called Joy. Joy feels really good. Joy is better than sex or chocolate, although the three aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. I've even seen them hanging out together on occasion.

Love is a circle. Healing is a circle. Give back to the world everything you receive in amounts that feel right and support who you are and what you do. Overdoing generosity is no longer generosity. It's silliness.

The question for this post: How has generosity improved your life? Thanks for commenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment